Msg : Prev 14 / 222 Next +26 100
1999-09-17 17:04:42

To  :

Subj:

RE: preliminary C virus results (object code in infection)

Please . . . .

There is no justification for spreading tools or information that aid in
creating or spreading viruses. Just because "script kiddies" write crappy
code or can't violate root privileges doesn't mean that their code can't
distract, annoy or destroy. Most Wintel viruses are poorly written - and
buggy. Often the bugs do more damage then the payload. Melissa, by the
way, was a petty virus that wasted hundreds of millions of dollars and
ruined the weekend of countless system admins.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Mitchell [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 1999 8:51 AM
To: Arturo Busleiman
Cc: Radoslav Dejanovic; [email protected]
Subject: RE: preliminary C virus results (object code
in infection)
Perhaps I'm ignorant, but giving kiddies the tools to crank
out virii
doesn't seem that threatening, for several reasons of
increasing
importance:
1) To make a potent virus, you need sacrificial machines,
experimentation,
etc. These resources are not available to "Level 0" virus
writers, e.g.
"script kiddies." I assume that the spooks and industry
types are
way ahead of the curve went it comes to publicly available
tools.
Essentially, kiddies will continue to produce petty, often
malfunctioning
virii. (And often without sanitizing elements that can be
traced back to
them.)
2) Limited user abilities inherent in Unix protect other
users and "root"
system functions. As long as a virus can't break root, and
arbitrary
programs can't affect critical system files, services, etc.
than it's no
worse than any other user-level unix virus. Maybe now more
prolific, but
no more potent
3) Cryptographic signing (e.g.MD5), checksums, etc. are
already widely
used to verify the integrity of code and binaries obtained
from remote
locations. Remember the trojaned tcp-wrappers? See:
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-01-Trojan-TCP-Wrappers.html
So if it seems they can make virii as easily as they want,
and it won't
affect my Linux box.
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Arturo Busleiman wrote:
> > I agree. The worst thing people on this list could do is
to give wannabe
> > hackers simple
> > way to modify other people's viruses. It is somewhat
"security trough
> > obscurity", but it would be even worse to give wannabees
simple tools and
> > the knowledge they can't understand, but can modify with
ease. No wanna see
> > VCL for Linux, thank you!
> You have understood my point of view, imagine the future
of Linux (or
> any Unix) in 4 years (OR LESS!) time! Catastrophic

VX Heavens - collection of viruses,sources and articles.
Сообщения можно выбирать стрелками Enter
Пользовательского поиска