Msg : Prev 13 / 222 Next +11 15 17 19 42 56 58
1999-09-17 16:14:57

To  :

Subj:

RE: preliminary C virus results (object code in infection)

>So if it seems they can make virii as easily as they want, and it won't
>affect my Linux box.

Yup, not yours, not mine. But what with the Joe Average? While Linux still
is (and will be) platform that asks for an educated user, there will be more
and more people who want to use Linux and not bother much about
administration. Or even worse, people might start thinking that Linux is so
easy and intuitive, they can do just everything by clicking with the mouse
over some KDE application.

We've seen what happened to Windows users. They think that Windows is so
easy and powerful, they can administer it with a mouse. We all see the
results. People that do not understand even basics of computer security.
Lots of them. They are those who suffer from computer virii, not those who
know how to protect themselves.

And, we will se more and more of them migratin to Linux in the future.

There are two reasons why we shouldn't give everything to everyone at this
moment:

1. People need to learn things. Computer viruses are the worst thing that
can happen to them while they're still fresh.

2. Even more dangerous: we do have some viruses now, but we don't have any
antivirus!!!
Coping with the wirus without a decent antiviral software is tough job even
for very experienced administrators. Commercial antivirus makers won't make
their own antivirus software for a while now. They will do it one day,
because it still makes good money, even if there aren't many viruses on
particular platform - bussiness people like to be safe and they'll buy it
even if there's no serious threat to them. And since Linux is very open
platform, someone will make good, GPL-ed antivirus one day. Until then, it
would be very unfair to other users (who aren't quite good with Linux) if
this list becomes a wannabe course for making viruses.

And yes, third - guess who's gonna be very happy to announce that "Linux has
many dangerous viruses and no antivirus software, and it is completely
unsafe for bussiness, while our OS has many excellent antivirus software,
and our new backoffice suite will have blah blah blah..."

There are two facts that we all should keep in mind. One is that not
everyone has experience and knowledge, and that uneducated people are the
majority. Other is that Linux doesn't have decent antivirus (why don't we
make one?) and therefore playing with a disease without a cure could be
disasterous in one way or another. Even a weakest virus could make great
damage to an ordinary user. And imagine if there's no software to remove it
from the system... people would run away from Linux!

VX Heavens - collection of viruses,sources and articles.
Хочешь пользоваться клавиатурой - сдвинь мышь, чтобы не мешала
Пользовательского поиска